Saturday 5 May 2018

Royal family


News today of an unexpected and - for me - exciting consequence of Thursday night's visit by a female Emperor moth.  By happy chance, Penny and I were invited by friends to voyage down the Thames yesterday from Windsor to Maidenhead. In appreciation, we took them a bottle of wine, some home-grown purple-sprouting - and the Empress.

That's Windsor Castle in the background
On the way, I emailed about something else from the train to Dave Wilton, the wonderfully knowledgable and helpful organiser of the Upper Thames Moths blog, and I mentioned in passing that I was carrying out this minor piece of species redistribution. He replied: 'If she is travelling in the dark, she may have company by the time you get to Windsor.'


He was absolutely right. Look at the lovely clutch of eggs which she laid as the various trains conducted us between Oxford Parkway, Oxford, Slough and Eton and Windsor. I rewarded her by leaving her contentedly on a willow tree by the Thames at Runnymede (she was still in exactly the same spot when we wandered past an hour later after exploring the historic site). But I've brought the eggs back here for a little caterpillar breeding.


This is a very enjoyable occupation. I think that if you are interested and Google skilfully, you will be able to follow the long and fertile family saga of the beautiful Empress shown at the top of this blog's web page. I am also offering free eggs to anyone else who would like a go, so let me know if you are interested.


No comments: