Thursday 12 May 2016

Anniversary supplement



I'm having a lovely wedding anniversary morning scrabble-hoeing in the veg plot, which I love doing, while P paints a bedroom wall blue, something she greatly enjoys (and does very well).

But I've just bobbed in to make coffee and quickly upload this: my hoeing is being much enhanced by an Orange Tip which keeps floating past like a restless shopper, examining flower after flower but seldom staying with any of them long.



Even better, my first Holly Blue of the year came jinking along, perching very briefly on bits of mulch doubtless to sip at the flavoursome juices within. I love blue butterflies, flowers and birds and here, in the poem Fragmentary blue by Robert Frost, may be part of the reason why. My picture is hopeless, even given the butterfly's annoying habit of showing only its pale blue underwings when at rest, but I will keep trying for a better one as the day goes on.

WHY make so much of fragmentary blue
In here and there a bird, or butterfly,
Or flower, or wearing-stone, or open eye,
When heaven presents in sheets the solid hue?
 
Since earth is earth, perhaps, not heaven (as yet)—        5
Though some savants make earth include the sky;
And blue so far above us comes so high,
It only gives our wish for blue a whet.

No comments: