Tuesday 3 November 2015

Foggy moths


Large Wainscot

December moth

A fellow enthusiast, Steve Trigg, tried an experiment at his Thames Valley home earlier this week. The fog was so all-pervasive and settled-in that he put out the moth trap to see if the insects shared the problems experienced by UK airports. sure enough, in the morning his eggboxes were untenanted.

Red-green Carpet

Red-green Carpet

Red-green, or possibly Autumn Green, Carpet

Last night was very foggy here; the white stuff was not only visible but tangible. As soon as I went out, I became speckled with little drops of moisture. It last the night, lifting only slightly, but in the morning I found the following: Large Wainscot (3), Red-green Carpet (3 unless the last one shown in my pics is an Autumn Green Carpet) Update: it isn't. Expert Dave Wilton on the UTM blog confirms that all three are Red-green, December moth (2), Setaceous Hebrew Character (2), Red-line Quaker (2), Yellow-line Quaker (1), Sprawler (1), Winter/Autumnal/Pale Autumnal moth (1), Feathered Thorn (1) and Angle Shades (1).

Setaceous Hebrew Character (with another Large Wainscot behind)

I've added the pictures in that order and respectfully submit my findings for all who are interested in the subject(s) of moths and fog.

Red-line Quaker

Red-line Quaker

Yellow-line Quaker (I think but I am very unreliable on such things)

Sprawler

Winter/Autumnal/Pale Autumnal moth

Feathered Thorn

Angle Shades

No comments: