Tuesday 18 August 2015

Liliput


I once had the great pleasure of being paid by the BBC to wander around Utah and the picture above reminded me of the state's striking landscape. If the tiny pug moth featured was a giant, it would be folding its wings round one of the butte rock formations, which are often made more fascinating still by the relics of native Americans.


I have not yet had time to try to identify the pug and that also applies to the other Lilputians shown here. I hope you will forgive a very selfish post. This series is a storage box for me to sort out at the end of the season - or possibly sooner with the help of my much-appreciated commentors.


Having said that, I'm always extremely grateful for advice from passing experts and can never say Thankyou enough to those who give their time to put me right. I am sorry no to reciprocate more, but I don't think that many people would benefit from my stabs in the mothy dark.


I'm specially interested in the little chap above which may be a macro moth in spite of its diminutive size. I'm also looking forward to doing an audit, come October, and seeing if the eggbox number below is more or less than my total of micro-moths since we moved from Leeds to near Oxford.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin.

I'm particularly bad at Pugs, but there are a few with white spots on the thorax and of those my inclination would be towards White-spotted Pug(I see what you mean about the egg boxes looking like rock formations such as those seen in Westerns). I think the next one could be Acleris aspersana. I suspect the next one would most likely be Cydia splendana. The next one is, I think, transparent in places, but i'll have a wild punt at Narrow-winged Pug. For the last one, as usual, I'm nowhere near certain, but personally I'd go for Cochylis atricapitana.