Thursday 21 March 2013

Broken upon a wheel


To quote the modern carol: 
                                                 The weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful...

As a result, the trap has been stashed away for ages and looks like staying that way. But entomologists never rest, and I came across this sad scene while cleaning the greenhouse.  It puts you in mind of Oscar Wilde's unhappy last years and the phrase from Alexander Pope which I have used as my header.







It's a Green-veined White, or was. RIP. At least it posthumously carries the promise of Spring and Summer which, for all our dismal snow, sleet and rain this March, are not so very far away.

2 comments:

Sam • StarshipSN18 said...

Speaking of dead whites, my mum found a Small White fluttering in our back hall last November - it lived three weeks on the upstairs landing windowledge behind a net curtain and is now mounted on a magpie's feather, peering out at the blizzard in a deceased kind of way.

A promise of things to come - if winter ever lifts from Narnia! (I can say that, being from "Narn Iron", birthplace of Mr Lewis himself!) :)

I guess I'm suffering with you and all the other lepidopterists from Springsickness and a lack of moths...

All the best Martin!

MartinWainwright said...

Hi there - apologies for the delay in replying. How interesting about Narn Iron. I shall head for Google at once!

Happy Easter and here's hoping for the warmth. At least it's a beautifully sunny day today in Leeds.

All warm wishes

M