Sunday 23 December 2012

Merry Christmas from me and the moths

I briefly thought we had a Christmas miracle here. We were moving furniture to put up the Christmas tree in its usual place and under an armchair, we found a little Winter Moth in the take-off position.


Its body was arched, legs on the carpet and wings angled back, for all the world like a jet plane quivering on the back of an aircraft carrier. Given that Winter Moths can take half an hour to get going in cold conditions, I imagined that it was just nicely warmed up and ready to fly. But alas. No movement, and when I touched it gently with my finger, it toppled over. Long dead.


I have given it a posthumous Santa hat in one photo and a sprig of holly in the other, to wish you the merriest Christmas - from the Beyond, in the moth's case, and from the Here and Now in mine. And all the warmest wishes for the coming year.

Doesn't our carpet look nice in the second photo?  And aren't my Photoshop skills coming along? Watch out in April...

2 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Teehee
That Winter Moth could be a good candidate for Northern Winter Moth!
Happy Christmas and see you in the new year Martin, it's been a pleasure keeping in touch with you and your blog.
Ben

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben! Sorry to be so slow to respond. Age and festive busy-ness.

It's been so great having dealings with you all year and I'm more grateful than I can say for your generous expertise.

Stand by for a surprise in the Spring and meanwhile good mothing!

M