Wednesday 8 August 2012

All of a flutter


More bird news this morning - two magpies inspecting the trap. Beautiful but somehow ruthless-seeming birds. I have childhood recollections of being told how they attack smaller birds' nests.

Still, Nature is cruel; and two magpies mean joy, which there duly was: a wave of the Waves whose delicate grace is a delight at this time of the year. As those familiar with my errors may expect, I am not very good at telling them apart, but let's have a go. First, here is a picture of the two main types which frequent the trap at this time of year, especially when I put it near trees.


On the left is a Riband Wave with the clearly-defined band which accounts for its name. On the right, with a thicker and more jagged line crossing the wings like a seismometer graph...well now, what is this? I thought initially that it was a Cream or Lesser Cream Wave, but they are uncommon. It doesn't look quite like a Smoky Wave or Common Wave. It could be another Riband, as variation in moths is frequent. Help! 

To aid the inquiry, here are some definite Ribands from last night, photographed first from above, with a beetle-type friend, and then from below.



Meanwhile, here is a Common Wave


and, I am pretty sure, a Common White Wave


and one of the tiddlers in the family, half the size of those above, a Small Fan-footed Wave 


and the hopelessly-misnamed Single-dotted Wave with its many dots


and thus back to a closer view of another specimen of the one which puzzles me 


Expertise much appreciated, as always. At least I've tried...


2 comments:

R Homan said...

Hello Martin

How about Small Fan-footed Wave?

Regards

Robert

R Homan

Anonymous said...

Thanks v much Robert. I must check the size but I thin, judging from the top pic, that they're a bit bigger than SFWs. I forgot Penny's pencil! Will ponder but meanwhile much obliged, all v best M