Wednesday 11 July 2012

Some moths!


There are plenty more butterflies to come from my week in France, but here's a little return to the world of Yorkshire moths. We had supper last night with a friend who had come up for the Great Yorkshire Show which has, alas, been wrecked by our weird and wayward bouts of sudden torrential rain. The evening itself was dry and even warm, though we could see the mudbath carparks of the showground in the distance; and on the way home, the car's headlights picked up many moths.


Out went the trap and the night stayed dry, so this morning there were at least 100 sleepers in the eggboxes. The majority were Dark Arches, Hearts and Darts and a whole flight of dainty Light Emeralds. But there were other interesting arrivals and a couple are here. The first is, I think, a Light Arches which makes a pleasant change, and the second maybe one of the Mochas.


I have to make an early start for work, so will do more research on my return. Meanwhile, in the hope that it casts a magic spell on the weather - which this morning is at least clear and even sunny - here is another fritillary pic from France which seems to me to sum up those drowsy, lovely seven days.

Update: thanks to David - see Comments - I can proceed straight to supper without research. This is a Tawny-barred Angle. This and the Light Arches are both classified as common by Waring, Townsend and Levington but both are new to my list here. So a good night all round

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Save you some researching Martin, your second is Tawny-barred Angle.

Regards

Dave

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks so much David - only just back, hence delay, sorry. If I ever meet a neurologist, I will ask them to compare my brain with yours, and those of my other invaluable moth contacts, to find out why I am so hopeless at identification. Mind you, I hadn't got to Page 146 of W, T & L, so maybe that's an excuse.

Much appreciated as ever

warm wishes

Martin