Friday 27 July 2012

Let the games (and Leeds Met's bats) flourish!


Rather a cluttered post today. First, all hail to the Olympics which have prompted all manner of ingenuity in the retail trade. Here is a special Team GB rose which my mother-in-law Dilys got for me yesterday at the supermarket.

I had to add a moth but didn't want to trap last night, to give the poor things a break after a long run. So I scoured the grass round the spot where I'd placed the light the night before. This Scalloped Oak was still drowsy enough to pose, and I guess that it could be taken to represent British pluck - Hearts of Oak and all that.  Good luck guys!

Next, I'm due to make some remarks at Leeds Met today, one of our two ace universities here, so I Googled 'Leeds Met' and 'moth' and to my delight discovered:


But where do moths fit into the plan?  Eeek!  They are included as food for bats.


Finally, back to the Olympics and a couple of recent pics from the eggboxes which seem to show victory - the two Golden Ys - and disaster - the crashlanded Swallowtail Moth.  As Kipling put it:


If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same...





You'll be a moth, my son

1 comment:

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

Delighted to see that the weather has finally improved and the moths are flying. I've a selection of Virginia mountain moths from the vacation cabin porch light posted at Banished's Bugs