Tuesday 30 November 2010

Brrrrr!


I recall from school the value of proving a negative. That's what I seem to have done last night, when I put out the trap to see if any late-flying moths might brave the snow. It was extremely cold and after I had gone to sleep, the snow came down again. The brilliance of Mr and Mrs Robinson's trap was proved once more, with the shield working perfectly and the bulb shining brightly for frozen hours. But no moths came. There are some about at this time of year, including the appropriately-named November and December Moths. But I think that they fly only on warmer nights. If we get any such, we may see.

2 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin

I admire your bravery, but just to let you know that these bulbs stated operating temperatures do not exceed -5c , theorectically they can blow at temperatures below this, so be careful!

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks Ben! I hadn't realised that...

I'll give it break now til things get warmer, if they ever do

All warm (!) wishes

Martin