Friday 25 June 2010

Rude moth


Two fingers from a Snout moth here. They are palps, rather than fingers, but since these curious little instruments have all sorts of uses, both known and suspected and including 'feeling', the word 'fingers' is not perhaps completely inaccurate. There were two Snouts in the trap this morning, another indicator of the seasons' gradual passing. A Peach Blossom slumbered nearby along with two hawks, an Elephant and a Poplar, several Large Yellow Underwings, a tattered Peppered moth (in contrast to two almost-perfect ones yesterday) and lots of the small brown brethren. Among these was this trio, which look slightly different but are all Marbled Minors (at least I am pretty sure they are - except, see Ben's helpful comment, the one on the right is a Middle-barred Minor, new for me, though prob on grounds of my ignorance rather that its absence). I slid in the little wild geranium to add extra colour and interest. Cheating, eh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marbled/Tawny Marbled. It`s one big headache, Martin ;-) Just like the Common/Lesser Common Rustics.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi again Dean

I know; and my head can't cope. But they're very lovely anyway, whichever they are!

Have a lovely and mothy w/e

M

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin
The one on the far right can be id'd as Middle-barred Minor, the other two just oligia sp.

All the best.

MartinWainwright said...

utr1Hi Ben and thanks so much to you too. I can't say how good it is to have such helpful Commentors as yourself, Dean, Phil and the others. Although everything is online, it creates a sense of community. I just wish I could give something in return, but in the field of identification, that is not going to happen. I'm glad to add a Middle-barred Minor to my records, from which it was absent (although I suspect through my lack of identifying rather than actual absence). All warm wishes and many thanks again, M