Wednesday 14 October 2009

I spy my little fly


I forgot to mention, the other day, that one of my last captures before the great bulb disaster was this fly. Like most people, I'm rather vague about flies which all seem similar, apart from the various blue and greenbottles whose brilliant colour compensates for that annoying buzz. I also kill horseflies without compunction. Once bitten... Finally, I remember an absolutely lethal sort of fly in the grassy uplands of Guyana. I'm pretty sure that Evelyn Waugh describes it, too, in his travel book 92 Days. So I had to look up this strikingly-coloured visitor to the trap, which looks in the top pic as though it's on a diving board at one of those 1930s lidos, wondering whether to jump. I like the way that its yellow livery extends to its toes. It's a Noon Fly according to my best researches, although I will not be surprised if some Dipterist puts me and anyone reading this right on that. Actually, I'd be grateful if one of them would tell me what a Noon fly was doing out at night. A propos of nothing, I must just plug my new book True North, which has just come out - published by Guardian Books/Random House. It should be in 'good bookshops', as they say, or available from net order services. It's my take on the North of England after 22 years of reporting from here. The messages are (a) it's great - the subtitle is In Praise of England's Better Half and (b) to Northerners: be cheerful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is brilliant

MartinWainwright said...

Thanks ever so! It's pretty much going into hibernation now but I'll come back occasionally if excitements occur Warm wishes M

Phil said...

There's a post by a fellow noon-fly finder here http://standandstare-nyctalus.blogspot.com/search/label/noon%20fly

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Greenfingers - thanks ever so much. I've just had a look and much enjoyed (and was pleased to see that the blog was inspired by Phil Gates, a redoubtable contributor to the Guardian's Country Diary). Thanks again and warm wishes Martin

Nyctalus said...

Hi Martin. Delighted to find your blog via this circuitous route (thanks Phil). That's the beauty of this blogging lark - interesting things pop up out of the blue.
I hope you'll start up again next year as I could do with sharpening up on matters mothy.
All the best
Allan

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Allan - thanks v much. I really enjoy your blog and am about to try Phil's whose quality and interest I can well imagine.
I'll start up again in April, so hope to 'meet' you again then. All v best, Martin

MartinWainwright said...

oh... I've just realised that Greenfingers IS Phil Gates. Honoured to have been noticed by you Phil!