Tuesday 5 August 2008

Morning all

Hello! This moth reminds me of someone I know, but I can't remember who. Which is probably just as well. A teacher? Someone at the library? Identification is a daily problem with arrivals in the light trap. In the entry four below, the one showing the trap working, I misidentified both moths. Thanks to Jax of Yorkshire Butterfly Conservation, I've put them right, but originally I labelled them as an Early Thorn and a Swallow Prominent. Jax has kindly emailed me these photos (below) of a Swallow Prominent and a Lesser Swallow Prominent, which is what my second moth actually was. As she puts it, the Lesser has the prominent (appropriately) white isoscelesy triangle on the leading edge of its forewing. On the Swallow Prominent (top left picture) it's longer, thinner and less well-defined. You need eagle eyes in this business, see. And now I must get back to identifying the moth in the big picture, and trying to remember its human counterpart.

No comments: