Saturday 16 August 2008

Copper bottomed

It's been the night of the Copper Underwings. Fine moths they are, a whole league bigger and grander than the Large Yellow Underwings which were waking up and staggering around in the trap's bowl this morning, while their copper friend slept grandly on. I'm sorry the wings are a bit blurred but the moth - one of a pair in the trap - was a bit fed up with my activities and was getting ready to fly off into the safety of a hedge. The Copper Underwing's markings are very distinctive - the little circles on the forewings, and the fine stripes on the legs and body. A very sleepy wasp came and sat on my sleeve to admire as I gently prodded the Copper Underwing to show the reason for its name (see second photograph). Once again, my finger makes a distinguished appearance in these pictures; and observe the debut of my thumb.

4 comments:

Sally LS6 said...

Hi Martin,
I've been wondering for a while whether MW on the Yorks Butterflies site was indeed MW of the Guardian, then read the moth references in the G Diary, which led me to this site: the references to Jax confirmed it! Enjoying your postings.
Sally

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Sally!

Good detective work - I'm v glad you're enjoying this. I greatly enjoy doing it and Jax has been a brilliant identifier. Please chip in if I get anything wrong, as often happens. Just had a very good walk in the Washburn Valley with lots of butterflies about. And an adder. See tomorrow's exciting episode...

Sally LS6 said...

Hi again,
I'm a complete moth novice so will leave the advice to the expert! Haven't been to the Washburn Valley for a while: must get up there before the butterfly season's over.

MartinWainwright said...

Yes, it's a great part of the world. As well as the wildlife, the landscape is fascinating. You can sit on a rock at Little Almscliff Crag with cup and ring markings on it and contemplate that strange feature of the modern landscape, the Americans' eavesdropping base at Menwith Hill. I wonder if they run a moth trap. They certainly enter the local flower shows etc.